In 1936, UC President Robert Sproul appointed the Committee on Drama, Lectures, and Music (later known as the Committee on
Fine Arts Production and currently known as the Center for Performing Arts) to present on-campus one musical event each year.
The first event sponsored by the Committee occurred on 4 February 1937 when the Vienna Choir Boys performed on the UCLA campus.
During the 1960's, under the leadership of Frances Inglis, the Center built a national and international reputation for the
size and sophistication of its programs. In 1973, Inglis was succeeded by Edmond Harris, who increased the number of programs
and encouraged works by new and avant-garde artists. In 1979, Harris was succeeded by Pebbles Wadsworth.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.