The All Nations Church and Foundation photographs (circa 1924-1967) consist of photographic material in a variety of formats;
the collection provides a rich view of the people, community, and activities associated with the All Nations Foundation's
operations in Los Angeles. Among the subjects documented in the photographs are All Nations centers and community life; arts
and education; recreation and leisure; groups and individuals; and publicity materials. The collection complements the All
Nations Church and Foundation records, also held in the California Social Welfare Archives at USC.
All Nations, in its heyday the largest and most effective social welfare organization in Los Angeles, was begun in 1918 in
an east-central section of the city known as "Eastside." The City Missionary Society of the Methodist Church, under pastor
Bromley Oxnam, established and ran the church settlement, gathering donations, organizing volunteers, buying land and buildings,
and equipping gymnasiums, playgrounds, libraries, and clinics for a community where three-fourths of the families were on
public assistance and where much of the population consisted of immigrants from Europe, Latin America, and Asia. Oxnam initially
developed the physical facilities of All Nations, acquiring a complex of buildings at 810-816-824 E. Sixth Street just before
his resignation from the organization in 1927.
The use of archival materials for on-site research does not constitute permission from the California Social Welfare Archives
to publish them. Copyright has not been assigned to the California Social Welfare Archives, and the researcher is instructed
to obtain permission to quote from or publish manuscripts in the CSWA's collections from the copyright holder.