The Smith & Williams records span 236 linear feet and date from circa 1936 to circa 1987. The documents that compose the collection
include architectural drawings and reprographic copies, specifications, photographs, presentation boards, models, both Smith
and William’s student work, press releases, magazine and newspapers clippings, office memoranda, building material samples,
and awards. The collection primarily contains the work of the firm Smith & Williams but also includes Whitney R. Smith’s work
prior to the Smith & Williams’s partnership.
The firm Smith & Williams was founded in 1949 by Whitney Rowland Smith (1911-2002) and Wayne Richard Williams (1919-2007).
Whitney Smith was born on January 16, 1911 in Pasadena. He attended the University of Southern California (USC) and graduated
in 1934 with his bachelor’s degree in architecture. After receiving his degree Smith went on to work as a designer for notable
architects in the Los Angeles area: Lawrence Test, Harwell Hamilton Harris, Kem Weber, and William L. Pereira. From 1941 to
1942, Whitney Smith taught at USC. One of Smith’s students was Wayne Williams (1919-2007), who started working for Smith in
the early 1940s. Wayne Williams was born in Los Angeles on October 17, 1919. He graduated with his bachelor’s degree in architecture
from USC in 1947. By 1949, Whitney Smith and Wayne Williams officially became partners. Some of their most notable early projects
include Crestwood Hills (1950) and Griffith Park Girl’s Camp (1951). During the firm’s 24 years, Smith and Williams produced
numerous award-winning architectural projects, including private residences, educational buildings, religious buildings, community
buildings, recreational facilities, commercial buildings, and parks. The Smith & Williams’ partnership dissolved in 1973,
although both Whitney Smith and Wayne Williams continued to practice. Whitney Smith died in 2002 and Wayne Williams died in
236.0 Linear feet
(105 boxes, 40 rolls, 25 flat file drawers, 1 presentation board, and 2 models)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.