This collection reflects the major research interests of German scholar, Hans Eckstein, from archaeology to architectural
history, including historic preservation, the rebuilding of post-World War II German cities, exhibitions, and museums, as
well as his large circle of colleagues and friends. Materials include primarily correspondence and manuscripts, but also clippings,
publications, and photographs.
Hans Eckstein, 1898-1986, was a German scholar and architectural historian. He studied with art historians Friedrich Gundolf,
Karl Jaspers and Alfred Weber in Heidelberg and with Gerhart Frankl, Heinrich Wölfflin and Friedrich Wolters in Munich. He
worked as an assistant in the Staatliche Museen in Berlin and in the Archäologischen Instituts Berlin. In 1925 he returned
to Munich and worked as a journalist on the
Frankfurter Zeitung and the
Neue Zürcher Zeitung, as well as for other publications, writing primarily about archeology. Around 1927 his interests turned to art and contemporary
architecture. He wrote numerous articles for journals such as
Zeitschrift für bildende Kunst in Leipzig,
Werk the Swiss Werkbund publication,
Kunst und Künstler published by Karl Scheffler,
Kunst published by F. Bruckmann, and
Die Form, the journal for the Deutscher Werkbund. In 1932 he published two books,
Neue Wohnbauten and
Die schöne Wohnung and in 1938
Monographie Vierzehnheiligen and
Künstler über Kunst. During World War II, Eckstein worked as a photographer and as a translator of essays by artists and architects. After 1945,
he again worked as a journalist and editor and was active in the Deutscher Werkbund and the Freunde des Neuen Bauens, addressing
issues in architecture and the politics of culture. He became director of the Neuen Sammlung in Munich 1956, concerned primarily
with its collection of modern applied art and industrial design. Eckstein also participated in numerous exhibitions of decorative
arts, furniture and design.
2.5 linear feet
Library Rights and Reproductions.
Open for use by qualified researchers.