Paul K. Stumpf (1919-2007) served as Professor of Biochemistry at the University of
California, Davis from 1959-1984. While serving as a member of the Campus Building Committee during the 1960s,
he photographed construction of various buildings on campus. These slides are part of a slide show that Stumpf
assembled in 1990 to illustrate the "then and now" images of the University of California, Davis campus. Several
images of the city of Davis are present. Scripts and audiocassettes of the slide show are included.
Paul Karl Stumpf (1919-2007) received his B.A. degree in 1941 from Harvard College and his Ph.D. in
biochemistry from Columbia University in 1945. After eighteen months at the School of Public Health at the
University of Michigan as an instructor, he accepted an appointment at the University of California at Berkeley
as an assistant professor of plant nutrition. After ten years on the Berkeley campus, where he rose to the rank
of professor of agricultural chemistry and chair of that department, he transferred to the Davis campus to
establish a new department of Biochemistry and Biophysics in 1959.
Copyright is protected by the copyright law, chapter 17, of the U.S. Code. All requests for permission to
publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Department of Special Collections, General Library, University of
California, Davis as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the
copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.