This small collection consists of sixteen photographic negatives of the San Diego Center for Children. Photos of the interior
and exterior of the Balboa Park building, designed by Irving Gill, are included, as well as photographs of children and their
adult caretakers. The images date from the late 1920s or 1930s.
The San Diego Center for Children is San Diego's oldest accredited nonprofit organization serving children and adolescents.
It was founded in 1887 as the Women's Home Association and served poor, aged, and destitute women. In 1889 the Women's Home
Association formally merged with local philanthropist Bryant Howard's Children's Industrial Home, which served homeless, abused,
and delinquent children, many of them orphans. In 1898 the Association changed it's name to the Women and Children's Home.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.