The Lucile Lloyd papers span 15 linear feet and date from circa 1929 to circa 1941. The collection is primarily composed of
black-and-white photographs of Lloyd’s work as well as preliminary sketches, presentation boards, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings,
correspondence, textile swatches, and Lloyd’s typewritten essays and poetry.
Lucile Lloyd was an artist who worked in Southern California, primarily in Los Angeles and Pasadena. She was born in Cincinnati,
Ohio on August 20, 1894. Lloyd apprenticed with her father, Harry K. Lloyd, at his stained-glass and textile design studio.
She attended the Women’s Art School at Cooper Union in New York City where she studied with Frank Fairbanks, Eugene Savage,
Robert K. Ryland, Frederick Deilman, and Joseph C. Chase. After graduating art school, Lloyd was the only women to work in
the drafting room of architect Bertram G. Goodhue where she did architectural decorative work. In 1921, Lloyd opened her own
studio in Pasadena, where she taught art classes and directed the Stickney Memorial School of Art. She received several commissions
for private residences, as well as churches and public buildings between 1921 and 1937. During the 1930s, Lloyd worked for
the Works Progress Administration as a muralist. Her more notable mural projects include the three murals that she did for
the California State Building in Los Angeles, entitled
California's Name; as well as murals at the Griffith Park Observatory,
The Madonna of the Covered Wagon at South Pasadena Junior High School, and a mural at the Queen of Angels Church in Hollywood. During her career, Lucile Lloyd
was a member of the California Art Club, Women Painters of the West, American Bookplate Society, and the California State
Historical Association. Lucile Lloyd committed suicide in 1941, at the age of 46.