The Richard Neutra drawings span 6 linear feet and date from 1928 to 1949. The collection consists of two flat file folders
of drawings in the form of reprographic copies documenting the Dr. P. M. Lovell house (Los Angeles, Calif.) and the Charles
C. Chase house (Santa Barbara, Calif.).
Richard Josef Neutra was born on April 8, 1892 in Vienna. Neutra studied at the Technical University, Vienna in Austria and
graduated in 1917. He was the city architect for Luckenwalde and from 1921 to 1922 was a draftsman for the architect Erich
Mendelsohn, before relocating to the United States in 1923. In the United States, Neutra participated in Frank Lloyd Wright’s
Taliesin Fellowship in Spring Green, Wisconsin. By the end of 1924, Neutra had moved to Los Angeles, California and began
collaborating with Rudolph Schindler. The two architects became partners in 1926 in a firm they called Architectural Group
for Industry and Commerce, which dissolved in 1927. By 1928, Neutra was working independently in Los Angeles until 1970, the
year he died. His most productive years were during the 1930s and 40s. Neutra, in the last decade of his life, worked with
his son Dion.