Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (77.91 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Avon Carlson was the first student body president of the Cal Poly Voorhis campus, which opened in 1938. The collection includes correspondence, photographs, and clippings documenting Carlson's time as a student at the Voorhis campus.
Background
The Voorhis School for Boys was founded by Charles B. Voorhis and his son, Horace Jeremiah "Jerry" Voorhis, in San Dimas, California in 1928 as a residential school for underprivileged boys. The elder Voorhis was a former automotive executive and the younger a recent Yale graduate who had spent his early career working at a Chicago orphanage. Jerry Voorhis served as the school's headmaster until 1936, when he left to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives. Charles Voorhis took over his son's duties for the next two years before deciding to retire and close the school.
Extent
0.92 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Restrictions
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Availability
Advance notice required for access.