The Reginald Johnson papers span 6 linear feet and date from circa 1912 to circa 1950. The collection contains photographs,
architectural drawings and reprographic copies for nine buildings in the Santa Barbara area, a hospital in Los Angeles, and
two residences in Pasadena.
Reginald Johnson was born in Westchester, New York on July 19, 1882. He attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
and graduated with a degree in Architecture in 1910. Johnson received collegiate office training in the offices of Myron Hunt,
Elmer Grey and Robert D. Farquhar. Upon graduation, Johnson moved to Pasadena and began practicing architecture in 1912. By
1920, he had joined forces with Gordon B. Kauffmann to form Johnson and Kaufmann, Architects. One year later Roland Coate
joined the firm and the name changed to Johnson, Kaufmann and Coate. The practice lasted four years, dissolving in 1925. Johnson
then went on to establish his own independent practice until 1934, when he publically announced his withdrawal from general
architectural practice. His more notable projects include: the Santa Barbara Post Office and the Santa Barbara Biltmore Hotel.
6.0 Linear feet
(2 record storage boxes and 9 flat file folders)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.