In 1874, Leland Stanford set out to promote the idea of a cable car for California Street, the principle ascent of Nob Hill
from the east, with a more reasonable grade than Clay Street. In 1876, in collaboration with several associates in the Central
Pacific Railroad, he secured the franchise, and construction was begun on July 5, 1877. The line ran between Kearney Street
at the foot of Nob Hill to Fillmore Street in the Western Addition, a distance of about 1.7 miles, and a power house, designed
by W.W. Hanscom, was put in at Larkin Street. Initially, the line operated with 25 grip cars and trailers built by the Kimball
Manufacturing Company and the Central Pacific shops.
Number of containers: 8 boxes, 9 cartons, 3 oversize boxes, 36 volumes
Linear feet: 23
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Collection is open for research.