Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Aliso Gun Club Records
2015_01  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.60 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains game registers, photographs, financial records, correspondence, and shooting schedules for the Aliso Gun Club of California.
Background
The Aliso Gun Club was established in 1898 as one of the original gun clubs of Orange County along with the other earliest gun clubs, Greenhead and San Joaquin (1893) and Bolsa Chica (1895). The Aliso Gun Club shared members in its early days with the Bay Island Club, which was also a gun club until 1903. It was also originally known as the Fairview Gun Club from its start in 1898 to 1905 and for the 1901-1902 season as the San Joaquin Gun Club. The club had several different sites throughout its history. There is no indication of the gun club’s original location, but as of 1932 it was located “east of Santa Ana Sugar Factory” and in 1935 it was located in the southwest portion of the Irvine Ranch. In 1976 it was moved farther south to be grouped with the Old San Joaquin Club, Twenty Ranch Club, and S&M Gun Club. Clarence Jessee and his wife, Alice, ran the Aliso Gun Club from 1942 to 1965. The game registers indicate that the club was active until the end of the 1972 season.
Extent
3 archives boxes; 9 linear inches.
Restrictions
Availability
Materials are open for research.