Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the University of California, Santa Barbara Campus Building records, circa 1949-circa 2016 0000186
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (87.79 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The University of California, Santa Barbara Campus Building records span 19 linear feet and date from circa 1949 to 2016. The collection consists of detailed project program reports regarding the following projects: Marine Laboratory, Music Classroom Building, Music Building Addition, Residence Hall 6, South Hall Addition, Speech and Drama Building, Psychology Building, Residence Hall 5, Natural Sciences and Engineering Complex, Cyclotrom Building, Classroom and Office Unit 2, Chemistry Building, Central Lab for Radioactive Materials, Classroom and Office Unit 4, Engineering 2, Library Unit 2 and 3, Lecture Hall. The collection also consists of specifications for the following projects: Arts Building, Music Unit 2, Administration Building, Classroom and Office Building, Environmental Sciences and Management, Library Unit 2 and 3, and Installation of Steel Library Stacks. Also included in the collection are presentation boards of the following projects: Residence Hall number 4, Physiology Building, Classroom and Office Building, Speech and Drama Building, Dinning Commons 1 and 2, Marine Laboratory, Lecture Hall, Physical Education Building, Library, Married Student Housing, and the Faculty Club. Architectural drawings and reprographic copies of the Campus Master Plan (1949-1950), a Residential Apartment Playground, the South Hall Addition, Music Building, Institute for Theoretical Physics (1994); as well as two models, also compose the collection.
The University of California, Santa Barbara was founded on July 1, 1944 and located in Santa Barbara proper, where the University took over the facilities of Santa Barbara State College. It was not until 1954 that the University moved to a 408-acre tract of land about nine miles west of the city, where it stands today. A portion of the 408-acre site was a World War II Marine air base, the barracks and other structures and facilities were renovated and adapted for instructional and dormitory uses. After the regents acquired the land, two permanent buildings were subsequently constructed, the library and the science building, designed in 1952 by Windsor Soule. A year later in 1953, the architectural firm of Pereira and Luckman of Los Angeles (later to become Charles Luckman and Associates) as well as landscape architect Eric Armstrong were chosen to create a master plan for the University. The construction of Santa Rosa Hall marked the establishment of a new architectural style, which consisted of patterned cinnamon colored concrete block (colored by volcanic ash) and flat tile roofs, intended to be a blending of modern and Spanish aesthetics. It was followed by the Arts Complex, Residence Halls, Dining Commons, Music Building, and Library additions. In 1968 the Faculty Club, which was designed by Moore and Turnbull, was completed. A year later in 1969, Storke Tower and Communications Plaza, designed by Clark and Morgan, were built. Over the history of the University there have been nine Campus and Master plans undertaken to guide its growth. As time has progressed, the biggest difference between the 1950 plans and the more recent plans is a much greater sensitivity to the environment.
19.0 Linear feet (5 record storage boxes, 1 half record storage box, 4 flat file drawers, and 3 models)
Partially processed and growing collection, open for use by qualified researchers.