Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Fire Department (University of California, Davis) Records
AR-184  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (59.98 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The UC Davis Fire Department provides fire protection and emergency medical services to the UC Davis campus. It was established as a volunteer fire brigade in 1917 and formalized in the 1950s with the hire of career staff and a full-time fire chief. The collection contains station logs, clipping files, manuals, meeting minutes, photographs, and realia.
Background
The UC Davis Fire Department provides fire protection and emergency medical services to the UC Davis campus. Fire protection at the Davis campus began in 1917 with a series of hand-drawn hose carts used by a group of fire fighting volunteers. By the late 1930s, several small fires prompted the university to expand the program. Working with City of Davis Mayor Calvin Arthur Covell, Jr., the university formally incorporated a fire protection program on campus and purchased a 500 gallon capacity pump. By 1939, the campus had finished construction of its first fire station and had obtained "Seagrave", a state-of-the-art fire engine. Formal, standardized training of fire-fighting volunteers began around the same time. In 1949, the campus fire department founded its Student Resident Fire Fighter Program: the program, one of three in the United States, is a highly selective program that trains students in fire fighting skills. In 1955, the campus added career fire fighters to the staff and the first career Fire Chief was hired in 1959. A new fire station was built in 1979 on Kleiber Hall Drive and remains in operation today.
Extent
4.6 linear feet
Restrictions
All applicable copyrights for the collection are protected under chapter 17 of the U.S. Copyright Code. Requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Regents of the University of California as the owner of the physical items. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Availability
Collection is open for research.