The Edward Alders Duck Sales Record Books consists of five handwritten volumes, spanning the years 1898-1905, that tabulate
kills, buyers, and expenses of a San Joaquin County farmer and market hunter.
Edward Alders (1877–1928) was a son of Charles Milton Alders, the owner of Central Hotel, in Farmington, California, from
1884 until his death in 1908. Edward operated the hotel from the time of his mother's death in 1911 until it ceased operations
in 1919. From an early age, Edward was a market hunter, shooting ducks and geese that he shipped to San Francisco. Most of
his hunting for the first nine years was done on Miller-Lux Ranch lands, near Gustine, Merced County. He subsequently hunted
at the Stevenson Ranch, near Hills Ferry on the Merced River. With savings obtained from hunting, Edward bought land on the
Bellota Road near Farmington (1904), and there he established one of the first vineyards in the region.