The Young Women's Christian
Association (YWCA) of Los Angeles was established in 1893 to promote the physical,
social, spiritual, and educational well-being of young women. The collection documents
the establishment, evolution, and achievements of the YWCA of Los Angeles.
The YWCA of Los Angeles was established in 1893 when Miss Emma Reeder came from San
Francisco expressly to organize a local branch. Incorporated the following year, the Los
Angeles chapter served to promote the physical, social, spiritual, and educational
well-being of young women. In its first year of operation, the YWCA increased its
membership from nine to over 360 members.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has been dedicated to the public. Copyright status for other
materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S.
Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written
permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.