The Mollie Harris Jewish Community Center Collection consists of Harris's working papers from the library regarding staff, long range planning, budgeting, publicity and working
documents for programs. It includes detailed information about events and speakers, including guest registers, newspaper clippings
and press releases. General program information, staff minutes, policies and documents regarding the functions of the overall
JCC are also present.
In 1957 the Jewish Community Center moved from its original location, a storefront on El Cajon Blvd and 30th St. in North
Park, to 54th St. between El Cajon Blvd. and University Ave. Joseph Astor, when he became the director of the new JCC, moved
the Center’s library of 538 volumes to the art gallery, and engaged Mollie Harris, a professional librarian. Over the years,
she and Joseph Astor developed a Jewish community library at the JCC.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.