Collection of materials relating to public education on the Peninsula from its beginnings in 1925 through the early 1980s.
The bulk of the collection documents the period 1955-1965 and covers the unification of the school district on the Peninsula
and several school bond elections.
The Palos Verdes School District (PVSD) formed on January 26, 1925 as an elementary school district officially when unincorporated
Palos Verdes withdrew from the Los Angeles City Elementary School District. The District began by serving 26 students from
kindergarten through 8th grade in its first facility set up in two rooms above a drug store in Malaga Cove Plaza. High school
students were sent out of the District to attend Los Angeles City schools in Redondo Beach. The first official school on the
Peninsula, Malaga Cove School, opened in 1926 followed by Miraleste School in 1929. The school district continued to grow
and, between 1955 and 1965, enrollment went from 2,285 to 13,204 students.
3 Cubic Feet
6 letter document boxes, 2 legal document boxes, 8 oversize items in flat file
The collection is open for research use.
Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the Local History Center for access information.